If you're here, you're serious.
And that's a great place to start.
In this 5-post mega guide to starting a simple and smart blog from the basics, up, you'll learn everything you need to know to start success-minded.
Why am I writing this series?
Well, I started another blog. This blog is a writing showcase that exhibits my journey from zero to published author.
And while starting the site, I realized that a lot of people could benefit from these shortcuts and basic knowledge after starting nearly 37 websites for clients and some of my own.
(So, the ongoing example will be my musings website: LifeViaSara.com.)
Sound like something you can benefit from?
Let's do this.
Grab the Plan Your Business [Re]Start Worksheets to breeze through this process.
[ Includes the FREE Start A Blog eCourse ]
This guide covers what I deem as the 11 essentials to the start of a successful blog and website.
Throughout this series, I'll have lots of references to my writing site, but also to other content on Goff Creative and other reputable sources.
If you have any questions or anything you think should be added to this series, don't hesitate to contact me directly via email.
So, now that all that stuff is squared away, the 11 essentials are:
- Have a [minimum of a] general plan for your new venture or blog—covered in this post.
- Research your [desired] industry and "competitors"
- Create an outline of the basic content and pages you need to start with
- Choose your website platform (Squarespace), domain, template, etc.
- Complete website content (with my strategy for coming up with benefit-focused content for every page)
- Set up Google Analytics for your new site / blog
- Set up your Google Webmasters Console
- Create your first blog post to launch with your site
- Find guest posting and other growth opportunities
- Solidify your content and marketing plan for the next 6 months
- Stop tinkering and focus on growth—sometimes the hardest part
This is a lot to take in, I know. So I'm breaking it up over the next 10 business days.
So, if you're serious about starting a blog or making your existing blog stronger and more focused, this is exactly where you want to be.
For now, let's focus on number one:
Have a general plan for your [new] blog or venture
Download the follow along worksheets here.
And for the full post, check out: 8 Keys To Planning A Powerful Solopreneur Business
Otherwise, stick with these quick pointers before we move on in tomorrow's post.
One. What's the point?
- Why do you want to start this venture or blog?
- What's going to keep you motivated when things go sour?
- What goal(s) do you want to achieve in a reasonable amount of time?
Two. Can you "do it" alone?
- What level of authority are you entering in? Are you an expert? Are you learning and showing strategies as you go? Are you borrowing authority through interviews and studying others in your desired area?
- How will you grow your business?
- What will you do to earn enough of an income from the onset to continue sustaining your new venture? Affiliate links? Product sales?
Three. What obstacles and responsibilities can you expect to arise or enter with?
What's going to slow you down? Make a list.
But on the other side of that list, make sure you note how you can either overcome that obstacle, or ways you can incorporate your responsibilities and obstacles into your workflow.
Four. Will it fly?
Do some research on your venture or blog idea. (We'll go over this more in the next post.)
And don't forget to grab Pat Flynn's book, "Will It Fly?" *Affiliate link*
Five. Brainstorm all the necessities
Although I've covered a lot of the basics in that initial list of needs, what else will you need to grow and sustain your new blog or venture?
Think about things like:
- Educational materials
- Assistance (like a virtual assistant or teaming up with a "competitor")
- Payment processing
- Product delivery
- Social media channels
- Other marketing channels
I can't emphasize research enough...
Check out my Content Planning Workshop intro video.
Seven. Create a Lean Canvas
What I like to think of as the basics to any new business or blog, the lean canvas by Ash Maurya is a fantastic starting point that I do each new year.
Because, hey, things change. We all do.
Might as well stay in-tuned with your business, blog—whatever your desired focus might be.
Eight. Put Your Systems Together
This is only the beginning.
Simply put, these 8 things are essential to a strong start for your new blog or venture.
Are you ready?
- What's the point in starting your blog or venture?
- Can you "do it" alone?
- What kind of obstacles and responsibilities can you expect to slow your flow?
- (Will if fly?)
- Brainstorm your necessities to start and grow with.
- Research... Everything.
- Create a lean canvas plan.
- Order up your systems.
P.S. Comments, emails, running a business and being a mom of 3 were just too much for me to handle. So, blog comments got the boot. But the lack of a comment box doesn't mean I don't want to hear what you think! Share your thoughts with me via @GoffCreative on Twitter or directly via email.
Could your Twitter followers benefit from this post?
Please share this pre-filled Tweet!